Thursday, November 17, 2011

Construction

I was super excited to roll out my plan for our construction themed class. My boys are into anything that moves dirt, fixes things, blocks; in general anything to do with construction. It was an easy topic for me.

Books:
  • Tonka Construction Zone - allows children to press the trucks and buttons that make noise
  • Usborne First Picture Trucks
  • The Home Depot - My Hammer (this is the one I read to class due to simplicity)
  • Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day?

Fine Motor: 

My favorite fine motor/sensory thus far! You take dry spaghetti and stand it up in a play dough ball. Then you offer cheerios or other O cereal to thread on the spaghetti. I also offered foam shapes. The kids loved it and spent a good 15 minutes there, which is a good length of time for 2-3 year olds to focus.



Craft:

Shape construction. I cut out triangles, rectangles, circles, and squares from various colored construction paper. I had the kids glue them on a white piece of paper. It is so simple, yet it got a great response. One of my friends spent about 10 minutes on it and he was very particular on placement.



Centers:
  • block center - wood, paper and plastic blocks
  • dress up center- I had hard hats, vests and tools available 



It was a popular them. The lesson I learned; every child loved hammers and two hammers was not enough for a class of 8! Mental note to get more hammers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment