Wednesday, May 2, 2012

5 Senses

This week we explored our 5 senses. Well actually we always explore our senses, I just decided to point it out to my little friends.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do you See? started us off. I love having the kids act out the book and act like the animals. We pretended we were searching for things to see by placing our hands over our eyes. It was obvious that this story has been read before because many of my friends yelled out the answers before I turned the page.

Our art activity involved pudding painting. I wanted them to feel the thickness of the pudding, smell the vanilla, and after adding food coloring exploring the different colors.





All you need is vanilla pudding, food coloring and/or Kool-Aid, paint brushes, and paper. I don't plan on my friends keeping the paintings; it is more about the process. This is always hard for parents to do; letting their kids make something that doesn't look like what we know it to look like.



My 2-3 year olds had a blast with this. They sat for a good 10 minutes. Some dipped their hand in the pudding and some just stuck with brushes. I had two that sat even longer. I am not sure if it is because they can really feel what they are moving around on the paper, the smell, or the color. Perhaps it is a bit of all of that.



We supplemented our theme with Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, and home made play dough at the sensory table.


No comments:

Post a Comment