Wednesday, March 14, 2012

St Patrick's Day and Rainbows

Most of my friends are too small to understand St. Patrick's day, therefore I make it more about rainbows and the pot of gold at the end. As a result I tend to mix both together, as you will see from today's book and art activity.


The book we read is a sweet little book called Rain Brings Frogs. It is about a little boy who tends to see the bright side of everything and rain is fun because it brings frogs. The end of this story has a rainbow and this is why I chose it (besides the great message behind it). I also had Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert. No explanation necessary. She is one of my favorite authors.

Our art activity was art tissue (bleeding tissue) umbrellas. I gave my friends a bunch of rainbow colored tissue paper that was already cut into squares. They simply have to paint it on with water and let dry. I had cut an umbrella out of a paper plate.



Applying the tissue with water and a paint brush.

The end result after letting the paper dry and fall off.


To incorporate St. Patrick's Day, I had my friends look for green coins the  Leprechauns had left in our sensory bins.  I had my purple play sand out and pasta that I had dyed with food coloring the day before. 
 

My friends loved the different textures of the sand and the pasta. They like the pasta because it was noisy. After they found all the coins I had them hide them again for the Leprechauns.

I finished the class off with a fingerplay/song; Five Little Leprechauns. I printed it off and made it into a felt board story.

No comments:

Post a Comment