Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

This week we are doing another fun book; Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Williems. It is a fun book, that involves audience participation. I will say that it is probably better for 4-7 year olds, but the pictures and your story telling will help younger ones enjoy it. I also had the Wheels On The Bus by Raffi to follow up with.



Craft: Shape Bus. I found a template for a bus and cut it out by hand. I really need to find someone with a die cutter, it was time consuming cutting out enough for 20 kids.  I also cut out squares for windows, circles for tires, and a rectangle for the door. My older friends will glue these on and will get a chance to cut out their own shapes to practice those cutting skills. My younger friends will paint the bus with finger paints.



Sometimes it is the simple activities that elicit the best response. My friends spent a good 10 minutes making their bus. Some even did both sides. Some colored them with markers as well. There is no wrong bus. I did not tell them where to put the wheels, windows or doors. I want them to practice cutting, gluing, and shape recognition.

To finish off our theme was sang The Wheels On The Bus along with Raffi. I also got out our plastic buses and the carpet with a road on it for the kids to play with. It was 45 minutes of pure, simple fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment