Friday, June 8, 2012

Home Made Yogurt!

I said it, homemade yogurt! I did it and it rocks. We are on a serious home made kick over here. I love to please through food and nothing says love like home made (in my book).

I found the recipe on the Year of Slow Cooking Blog. If you do not know this blog, it rocks. I love my slow cooker and she has a ton of easy and yummy recipes. I was so excited to try this one out since my three year old was eating his college tuition money in yogurt faster than I could open a yogurt.

You will need a half gallon of milk (I used organic whole as it was on sale for $2.99 a half gallon!!!!), a small plain yogurt, and any add ons you want to put in it. I did real vanilla (Costco).


Now I read several different blogs and this is made several different ways. The one thing in common was to find non Ultra Pasteurized milk. Not sure where you get that. If you don't, your yogurt will be runny, just like fat free yogurt even if you use whole milk. There are a few ways to remedy; powdered milk, gelatin, or straining. I just left it as is. I will strain it next time to get more of a Greek feel.

I followed the recipe to a t and it was amazing. My husband was totally on board after tasting it. My youngest need a spoonful of jelly in his since there is no sweetener added to this batch. Next time I will add honey or stevia. We top it off with our favorite fruits and enjoy.


Yummy, yummy, in my tummy! Have you made your own yogurt?


No comments:

Post a Comment