Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Volcano; A Science Experiment

Today my boys returned after a four day visit at Grandma and Grandpa's in the country. It was so quiet around here, it was strange. I am happy to have them back, but my husband and I really needed the alone time. 

As soon as they got home, we got right to it! My oldest just turned six on Sunday. He got some great science gifts, which he really wanted. One was a kitchen science kit. We started right off with the volcano. We have done this before but not with a handy plastic volcano; we just made one out of baking soda. 



Ingredients: baking soda, vinegar, red food coloring, and dish soap. 

If you do not have a handy plastic volcano, make a large pile of baking soda into a volcano. Add a few drops of red food coloring and a drop or two of dish soap. Why dish soap? It slows down the reaction between the baking soda and vinegar, allowing you to have a couple minutes of fun rather than a quick 30 seconds. 



We did this over and over and over and over and over...and over. My boys loved it. We ran out of food coloring and that is what stopped us. 

Have you made a volcano with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment