Sunday, October 28, 2012

Monster Snot (Slime)



My son has been bugging me to make slime. I keep talking about all the science experiements we are doing in his first grade class Halloween party; it is a mad scientist theme. I have been promising we will test them out prior to class party. Monster snot won hands down. I found this recipe in the book from my local library called Crazy Concoctions by Jordan D. Brown.

Supplies:
  • 1 8oz bottle of white glue
  • food coloring
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon of Borax
  • measuring spoons/cups
*Safety note: Borax is safe when used in small amounts. But in large doses it can be dangerous. Make sure to keep the box and this slime away from small children and pets. Always use adult supervision. Clean up any powder spills right away. By all means, DO NOT EAT THIS!


  1. Squeeze the 8 oz bottle of glue into a bowl. I used a disposable pan that I use for our science experiments.  
  2. Fill the empty glue bottle with warm water and put lid back on. Shake, shake and shake. Empty the water into the bowl. Add a few drops of food coloring. 
  3. Fill a measuring cup with 1/2 cup of warm water and add 1 teaspoon of Borax. Mix.
  4. Slowly pour the Borax mixture into the water/glue. Squish it together with your hands. The magic will begin. 

There may be a little bit of water left in the bowl, don't worry the more you play with the mixture the more it becomes a solid. Our water was completely absorbed in a few minutes. 

My boys played with it for about 15 minutes. I then put it in a Ziplock bag to preserve. This is going to be a blast at our class party!


Have you made snot/slime before?

No comments:

Post a Comment